FIRST NATIONAL BANK BUILDING - 441 Lincoln Ave.
The First National Bank building was built in 1882 using native limestone, which was a popular building material in Hebron at the time. The stone was available within the county, easily worked, and reasonably durable. Like other buildings in town, a cast-iron cornice ornamented the top. The interior was finished with white marble wainscotting and had elegant, wooden teller cages. The basement housed the bookkeeping department. The building had three large windows facing Lincoln Ave. The vault was made with a solid stone foundation eight feet thick below the first floor and four feet thick on the outside, and the entrance to which was secured by one of Hall’s Safe & Lock Company’s best burglar and fireproof double doors. Inside the vault there was another burglar alarm. The double doors had combination locks. The erection of the building was to be completed in 90 days, but there was a two-month delay in opening.
Andrew Gordon Collins acquired controlling interest in the bank in 1884. A second-floor apartment was the Collins home for several years. The bank was re-charted as Hebron State Bank in the early 1900s and remained in the Collins family. The bank fell victim to the Great Depression and closed. Following the bank’s closure, the building served as a liquor store, and later as a hobby shop. The cornice was removed, whether for a World War II scrap drive or for some other reason is not known. An interior remodel resulted in removal of the fixtures and the marble wainscotting.
Mr. Collins also built the adjoining building, using similar materials, as a commercial space, and it housed a variety of businesses over the years.